Care of Eyes:
Strengthening of the eyes is an essential requirement. It can be achieved by performing regularly eye-energizing exercises. This can be done at any place and at any time.
Sitting straight on a chair the following exercises have to be done as slowly as possible. The six exercises suggested here have a bearing on eye-ball movement to be monitored by the movement of the thumb. The eye-balls will follow the moving thumb as follows.
- Hold your right thumb vertically in front of your right eye and in horizontal line with it. Move the hand slowly downwards and let the eye ball continuously follow the thumb movement. Then raise your hand slowly as you follow it with your eye. Repeat this exercise half a dozen times. Repeat the same exercise with the left eye and the left thumb.
- Hold your right thumb vertically in front of your right eye as before. Move the hand towards your left slowly and then bring it back to its original position with both the eyes following the raised thumb without disturbing the level and also without changing the position of your head. Do it half a dozen times and repeat this exercise using the left thumb and the left eye.
- Hold your right thumb vertically in front of your right eye as before. Move your thumb downwards in the south-western direction and then bring it back to its original position in the reverse direction. Do all the movements slowly and carefully with both the eyes following the thumb. Repeat this exercise six times. Perform similar cross movement from the North-West to the South-East with the left hand thumb held in front of the left eye.
- Place both the thumbs side by side touching each other. Hold the pair of thumbs in front of you at a distance of about 30 cm. from the tip of your nose. Move both the thumbs towards the nose in a horizontal line, with the eyes following the thumbs. And then, move the thumbs in the reverse direction, with the eyes following the movement. Repeat this experiment six times.
- Hold both the thumbs together keeping the arms stretched. Hold the arms straight up above the level of your head. Then lower the arms, with the eyes following the passage of the thumbs; and then move the arms downwards. Again move them up in the reverse direction. Repeat this exercise six times.
- Hold your right thumb in front of you. Move your hand in such a way as to rotate the thumb describing a big circle, with the eyes following the thumb. Repeat this exercise half a dozen times and then perform the same in the reverse direction. DO this exercise six times with the left hand thumb. After performing these six exercises, relax by blinking the eyes several times and then close your eyes. Keep your palms on the closed eyes for few seconds and then massage them softly for 30 to 60 seconds. These age-old exercises, if done regularly, will strengthen the muscles and the nerves of your eyes.