Iron is the raw material of the hemoglobin in the red blood cells, lack of iron in food is the main reason for iron deficiency anemia in toddlers. A good way to give your baby iron-rich foods to prevent iron-deficiency anemia. So which foods contain more iron in it?
Choose the iron-rich foods to consider both the iron content in food, but also consider the level of iron in the human intestinal absorption rate, the ideal choice is a high iron content, iron absorption rate and good food, there are two types of iron in food: heme iron and non-heme iron.
Heme iron and Non-hemi iron
Heme iron is found in animal foods muscle and blood, the iron content is high, the absorption rate is also high, up to 10% -22%, non-heme iron is widespread in a variety of plant foods such as beans, green leafy vegetables and cereals, this iron subject to dissolution, free and in the gastrointestinal tract into to divalent iron absorption and utilization, the absorption rate is low, typically 1% to 7%.
Plant foods also contain some qualities such as phytic acid, oxalic acid, phosphoric acid, cellulose hinder the absorption of iron, food fructose, amino acids, fatty acids, vitamin C, etc. but also to promote the absorption of iron.
Foods for Toddlers
Consider these factors in the choice of food iron supply in the production of toddlers meals, pay attention to do the following :
- To use foods with high iron content, absorption rates, in accordance with these two conditions use fish, lean meat, pork, pork liver. In vegetative food is good by the soybean product, the absorption rate of up to 7%, another black fungus, kelp is also high iron content. Milk (breast milk, cow’s milk), iron content is not high, but the absorption rate of up to 10%–50%, is also good.
- Grain cereals such as millet, maize, sorghum flour, iron content and absorption rate is higher than that of rice, therefore should give the baby some cooked grains to eat frequently, the thick flour and rice mix alternatively eating, can increase iron intake.
- dark green or red and yellow vegetables, such as spinach, rape, celery, amaranth iron content is not low, and lean meat with cooking, can contribute to the absorption of iron.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamin c, cooking to avoid excessive loss of vitamin c, proper eating fruits after a meal, all contribute to the absorption of iron.
- Commercially available iron-fortified foods, such as grow infant formula milk powder, nutrition rice and so on in the food into the iron can supplement the lack of food in iron, moderate eating is good.