It became fashionable after Jennifer Aniston and Demi Moore started to follow. But by limiting animal protein can cause deficiencies of iron, calcium and vitamin B12.
The alkaline diet is based on the acid-alkaline balance of our body.
It was proposed decades ago by some doctors and nutrition experts, such as Dr. Robert Young and Dr. Gerson, which were based on blood and urine pH can mainly be modified by foods that are consumed, affecting or improving the general State of health.
PH means potential hydrogen and is measured on a scale ranging from 0 to 14. Any level above 7 defines alkaline and any level under 7 is defined as acid.
Homeostasis or balance provided by the body’s pH is aimed at maintaining the biochemical functions of the body which are responsible for the health.
What is the Alkaline Diet?
The alkaline diet is to restrict or eliminate the consumption of some foods primarily dairy, meat, seafood, salt, sugar, oil and industrial products, as well as incorporating organic foods into the diet daily.
Mainly it is to improve the level of acidity in the blood and urine by a customized feeding program, so it is necessary to perform pH tests on urine and blood in order to define the type of individual nutritional treatment.
At present, there are several streams for this type of diet that incorporates a comprehensive treatment of specialists in dermatological treatments, medical and psychological with the aim of improving adherence to treatment.
- May cause weight loss because of its high fiber intake and being a low calorie diet.
- No cholesterol and saturated fat, which supports cardiovascular health.
- It is easy to prepare.
- Without sugar.
- Use organic food, beneficial to the body.
- Following this diet can lead to not meet the recommendations for protein of high biological value.
- It may be deficient in iron, calcium and vitamin B12.
- Always recommended if you follow this diet to be under medical supervision.
- This type of diet has achieved great popularity among the artistic medium, because it is an effective method to maintain a slender body.
- There may be deficiencies in iron, calcium and vitamin B12.
- Usually it does not cover the recommendations of proteins.